Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Antiques and Gardens

I have two BIG problems:
 
 #1....  I LOVE antiques...but am mostly drawn to big, hard to ship, antiques.
#2....  I LOVE English gardens....but my home is in the desert.
 
Such trials.
 
Especially since I know about the Ardingly Antiques Fair which is held 5 times a year.
Just hop on a train to Heyward Heath from Victoria Station, catch a bus or taxi to
 Ardingly Showground, and you have acres of antique heaven. 
Of course, it took much of the day to understand what really grabs me, and what types of things I may be interested in looking for in the future.
 
My finds:
 
French Coal Bucket...thinking a plant in it, or just out in the garden.
 
 
Bugle, ricer, and serving tong thingys.
 
 
I know.  Random and unrelated.
 
Was a little nervous bringing home the bugle to a trumpet player.
 
 
Twas much more exciting after doing research on it. 
The lion holding a cross is the Regimental Insignia from the Kumaon Regiment, which is the most decorated regiment of the Indian Army...can barely read "Kumaon" under the lion.
 
 
Looking forward to going back on July 24.
 
Next problem, English gardens.
 
Rick had a meeting in Birmingham, so of course I went. 
The Winterbourne House and Gardens were awesome!
Especially the 7 acres of gardens and having lunch overlooking them.
 
 
 
My favorite....filbert nut trees made into an arbor.
Nuts drop onto the path...much easier than gathering little nuts in the grass like my Mom did.
 
 
So much beauty.
 

There were a bunch of different gardens separated by tall hedges or walls
 with openings to get into the next garden. 
So charming.
 
So why are English gardens a problem?
They don't have to water them to keep them green.
Just not sure we could do this in Utah.
(figure this out for me, Ryan)
 
Then work for Rick and off to the Birmingham Botanical Gardens for me.
 
 
LOVE columbine....
 
 
Fun way to support climbing things....
 
 
Fun times!  Beautiful things!
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. English style gardens are very feasible in a dry climate as long as you're not referring Capability Brown's style... lawn everywhere. Creating verdant garden rooms can be done with much less water than lawn. The biggest challenge I foresee is getting dad to allow a decent plant budget ;)

    ReplyDelete