Sunday, March 3, 2013

New Callings and a lot of Thought and Introspection...

We were sustained and set apart in new callings today.  Rick is a High Counselor in the Hyde Park Stake over YSAs. We are both YSA Advisors and  now attend the Brittania YSA ward but also work with YSAs in the whole stake (along with a sr. missionary couple). 

Testimony meeting today...."I'm from China, been a member a year"...."been a member 8 months"....been a member 1 1/2 years"...."from Africa".... They're from all over the world, and members as short as 1 hour (yup, baptism before church). 

Rick was actually issued his calling last week, but I was sick so didn't receive mine until today.  It was interesting that Pres. Bassett of the Stake Presidency kept referring to this calling as a mission.  I sort of thought I should correct him, that we aren't here as missionaries but for Rick's job, but are happy to serve wherever.  Then he said they all felt we had been sent here at this time for a reason, and we may want to think of our time here as a mission.

That comment has caused a great deal of thought and introspection on my part.

During my setting apart,  much of the time was spent talking about family history.

Then the woman over family history for England and Europe wanted to talk to us.  She sees great things for these YSAs and family history.  What better way to keep first generation members in the church than involve them in family history and the temple.

Rick and I have both felt this experience of living in London would be great in preparing us and our families for our serving multiple missions in the future.  I thought I was fortunate that I love family history and could do so much on my dad's line while here....kind of selfish thinking.  Me, me, me.

I hadn't considered that I might be helping move the kingdom forward in a different way than just  my own kindred dead while here.  Thinking about the events that have lead us here, to be used as instruments in the Lord's hands at this time and in this way,  has been kind of a neat experience.......

2 comments:

  1. So excited for you guys (and the ysa's)! And mom, doing family history is anything BUT selfish... you are providing such an amazing service to so many ancestors that can't do the work for themselves. Now you get to do that as well as help others do the same for their families!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think of it in that way either. I knew you'd be able to get a lot done with our ancestors, but how neat to help first generation members!

    ReplyDelete